The purpose of the McKinney-Vento Act is to address the problems that homeless children and youth face in enrolling, attending and succeeding in school. The Crawford County School District will ensure that each homeless child or unaccompanied youth has equal access to the same free, appropriate public education as all other children.
Homeless children and youth are defined as individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This term includes children and youth, who are:
- Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason (doubled-up)
- Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations
- Living in emergency or transitional shelters
- Abandoned in hospitals
- Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designated for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings
- Children and youth who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings
- Migratory children who qualify as homeless because they are living in circumstances as described above.
An unaccompanied youth, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Act, is a youth not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian. An unaccompanied homeless youth must fit the definitions of both homeless and unaccompanied to receive assistance under the provisions in the law.
If it is believed that a student of the Crawford County School District is either homeless or an unaccompanied youth, you must contact the school’s guidance counselor who will then contact the District's McKinney-Vento Liaison. Contact information for each school's guidance counselor is listed below, along with contact information for the District Liaison and Grants Program Manager.
Crawford County Elementary School: Brittney Tharpe email@example.com (478) 836-3171
Crawford County Middle School: Dr. Fatima Leggett firstname.lastname@example.org (478) 836-3181
Crawford County High School: Amy Raines email@example.com (478) 836-3126
Crawford County School District (District Liaison): Dr. Terese Martin firstname.lastname@example.org (478) 836-3131 x 113
GaDOE (Grants Program Manager): Eric McGhee email@example.com (404) 651-7555