The purpose of the McKinney-Vento Act is to address the problems that homeless children and youth face in enrolling, attending and succeeding in school. The Crawford County School District will ensure that each homeless child/youth or unaccompanied youth has equal access to the same free, appropriate public education as other children and youth.
“Homeless children and youth” are defined as individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This term includes children and youth, who are:
• Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason (doubled-up)
• Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations
• Living in emergency or transitional shelters
• Abandoned in hospitals
• Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designated for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings
• Children and youth who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings
• Migratory children who qualify as homeless because they are living in circumstances as described above.
An “unaccompanied youth”, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Act is a youth not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian. An unaccompanied homeless youth must fit the definitions of both homeless and unaccompanied to receive assistance under the provisions in the law.
If it is believed that a student of Crawford County Schools is either homeless or an unaccompanied youth, you must contact the school’s guidance counselor, who will contact the district McKinney-Vento liaison.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact your student’s school guidance counselor.
Crawford County Elementary School (478)836-3171
Crawford County Middle School (478)836-3181
Crawford County High School (478)836-3126
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact Federal Funds Director, Dr. Terese Martin, at email@example.com or (478)836-3131.
Revision June 27, 2018